Saturday, February 12, 2011

Where did the flu come from??

It is official our precious girl has the FLU!!  It all started this past Sunday when I went for an afternoon alone while Josh watched the girls.  Josh gave Amelia two formula bottles instead of breast milk and we thought it screwed up her tummy because she stayed up until 4AM crying.  Then it happened again on Monday night until 2AM.  We were convinced that it was just colic.  On Tuesday, we had a break and she slept her normal 10 - 3 and 3 - 7 so we were hoping it was just the formula.  Well, it happened again on Wednesday, Thursday night and then yesterday she cried for six hours straight while Josh was home with her.  I called our pediatrician that we love, and she didn't call us back until 6PM.  She said it was a crazy day.  She said that with Amelia's age, she felt it was best to take her to Nite Lite the Pediatric Urgent Care center because we could be missing something like an ear infection or UTI.  So off, I went to take Amelia because Avery was needing dinner and bedtime.  Let me tell you, if you live in Sugar Land, don't hesitate to go to Nite Lite...the staff was amazing and the doctor was so wonderful.  They put us in a room immediately since she had not had her eight week shots.  I can't say enough good things about the place.  At one point the doctor wanted to send us over to St. Luke's SL to see the pediatrician over there because her fever was 100.2 and the cut off for six week is 100.4 and they will often do a spinal tap for fevers over 100.4.  Whew, was I scared and so upset that I didn't listen to my wonderful hubby all week saying to take her to the doctor.  I felt like I knew what was going on.  They were worried about her oxygen level too.  Josh's parents came to our house at this point to stay with Avery and Josh came up to the clinic.  They decided to keep her at Nite Lite because SLSL already had two babies with same symptoms ahead of her.  The doctor said she would start the testing and if they had to move her to SLSL, then it would be a higher level of care.  RSV test came back negative, Praise God!  Then the doctor came in after the nurse suctioned Amelia (horrible thing to see your baby go through!!).  She said it was the flu!  We were shocked because Amelia has only been out of the house four times in six weeks and two times were to my parents' house.  She figured it had to been on something one of us have touched like a shopping cart or door handle and just brought it home to her.  We have all been vaccinated which explains why we haven't gotten it. 

The good news is that late last night the doctor called back and she had spoken to our on-call pediatrician.  He wanted to start her on Tamiflu.  She is sleeping a lot, and just watching her a lot for fever and making sure she is eating and peeing enough.  Please keep Amelia in your prayers!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! im so sorry! how scary for you!im glad things are getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying! So sorry poor Amelia has to go through that. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. Pray for my knee... it has sent me to the store for a brace and more tylenol already today. I'm hoping some ice and rest make it feel better. I don't want to stop running now!

    ReplyDelete