Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First flight and few tips for Mom....

Avery took her first flight to Tulsa, OK this past weekend.  We were excited and nervous all at the same time.  I did a lot of research and wanted to make sure we were prepared.  I had her cute Vera Bradley bag all packed and ready to go.

Avery's Flight Carry-On included:
Lunch-kit with graham crackers, club crackers, goldfish, cheerios, organic cereal bars, yogurt, spoon and two empty sippy cup.
Colors and ElmoColoring Book with stickers (blank paper too)
Brand new Magnadoodle
2 Favorite board books
Favorite puppy
Baby doll
Mini DVD player (courtesy of my sister - thank you Kris!)
2 Elmo DVDs and Finding Nemo (which she had never seen)
Headphones
4 Dum Dums suckers
5 pacifiers

By far, the hit was the Magnadoodle and was the best for pregnant mommy that had to bend over the carseat to get everything that fell on the floor.  The snacks were a hit too, but the best were the cereal bars.  Note:  goldfish and cheerios not a great idea since you would have to have cup or bowl to put them in (airplane drink cup works though).  Yogurt...really bad idea for a child that wants to eat it with her hands rather than the spoon. The two sippy cups were great because I put water in one and then added some apple juice to it.  She did not like it so I was able to get plain water in the other. 

The Dum Dums were also a lifesaver.  I gave them to her on the decent of both flights which really helped when she started hitting her head because her ears hurt.  I am not sure it took the popping of her ears completely away, but it sure kept her mind off it because she had never had one before. 

The multiple pacifiers were a huge help because once they landed on the floor it went back into the bag for cleaning.

We used the DVD player on the return flight as a last resort.  I didn't want to get it out, but the flight home was more difficult since she had only had a 45 minute nap that day.  She was beyond tired but didn't want to sleep.  She enjoyed seeing Elmo, but she didn't love the headphones too much.

Lastly, I would highly suggest paying for the Passenger Seat for an infant rather than carrying them.  We thought we might just pass Avery around since Josh, myself and his mother were all on the plane together.  I am so thankful we didn't.  She was so comfortable in her car-seat and never once tried to get out of it.  Thank you Grandma Judy and PaPa for the Passenger Seat for Avery!  It was a God-send!!!  Another note, if you do purchase a seat, pin a sign on your child that says "Paid Passenger."  We were asked three times on one flight if she had a paid seat.

When we arrrived in Tulsa, Avery was flirting with the man behind us.  I said to him "I hope she wasn't too loud."  He said "Did she sleep the entire time?"  She didn't sleep a wink....I was proud of my baby girl.  Return trip not so hot, but we forgive her!

Ok, I think I have shared enough of my little wisdom I learned.  Oh, one more thing...I am thinking of inventing some kind of net to catch all the things that fall during the flight so you won't have to bend yourself into a contortionist to pick everything up.

Here are some pics of our little Angel on her first flight.  Trip pics to come!  Just a little teaser...we went to Homecoming in where Josh's parent's grew up, Sallisaw, OK.  It was a trip!  I can't wait to share everything...it made me wish we lived in a small town. 

DISCLAIMER:  This is my old camera and the pics are horrible but none the less, I didn't want to lug the monster camera out of the bag while trying to balance keeping Avery entertained. 
The girl wouldn't leave the telephone alone behind the check-in counter at the gate. She almost threw a hissy fit and fell onto the nasty carpet.  Challenging twos are getting close...not going to say "terrible twos" because she is too cute and sweet to have that. 
Still chatting away!
To lure her away from the check-in counter...my cell phone.  Hard to believe that a 17 month old looks so comfortable using the blackberry.  Could it be that Mommy uses it a little too much?  By the way, don't you love her pigtails?  Her teacher at school put them in for her.  That is about the only way she will let me fix her hair.  No bows!
In her seat and ready to take off.  Pacifier is definitely a must for the flight so sorry moms that think I should break her of it.  I will do before two!

Doing a little Sky Mall shopping.
The Magnadoodle that saved the day!  Whoever invented this is my hero!
Doing some light reading. 
Last but not least...I thought she should eat something besides snacks for her dinner.  Smart mom got out her yogurt! 

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH! Those pig tails are the cutest things ever!! Thanks for sharing your wisdom; it'll come in handy when we build up the courage to take that first flight with our kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete