Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Everyday Love

All is well here in our home. Amelia will be two weeks old tomorrow. How time flies so fast! She is still sleeping pretty good at night. Last night we had a minor setback after I ate a spicy meal. I have learned my lesson!! Poor thing, Josh and I felt so bad for her. I felt worse that Josh had to go to work today. I think I might actually get a nap in today. The main thing I have noticed different from the first delivery to this second is that I have hardly rested when the baby rests. Thank goodness she is sleeping four to five hour stretches at night but today I am feeling it!

We had some sweet visitors come by. I am not great at remembering to take pictures of everyone, but my dear friend, Cori came and brought her two precious kids. My sister came that day as well so all the kids had tons of fun! Here are just a few pictures of the latest happenings. I am trying to take as many pictures as I can so Amelia won't be slighted when you look at all of Avery's pictures she had as a newborn.
Amelia posing for a picture. 
We pulled out the playmat for Amelia to lay under the other night and Avery couldn't stand it...she had to get under there as well. 
My two sweet girls! 
Campbell, Cori's daughter, Avery and Carson.  They were having so much fun!  My camera was on a multiple pic setting so they were all pretty blurred. 

Campbell and Avery coloring together.  What a doll Campbell is...look at her long eyelashes. 

Lastly, just an update on Avery and hitting Amelia's head...well, it still continues.  Any advice dear mothers and fathers?  We have tried time-outs, love patting the bottom (aka spanking), and focusing all attention on Amelia not Avery when it occurs.  If anyone has any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  It is hard to stay focused on positive-parenting when one child is hitting the other.  I don't want to be negative and saying "no" all the time either. 


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Try giving her a replacement behavior... like "Hitting is not a choice. If you are mad, you can stomp your feet or throw a ball." If she isn't angry, but just wants to touch the baby: "If you want to touch Amelia you can use gentle hands to hold her foot/hand or wave hello." Theoretically catching her just before the act and giving her a replacement behavior would be ideal (but we know that's near impossible). Also... try not to use "no"... but instead "Stop".

    This is from the curriculum I used at Baylor Child Development Center, but also some proven techniques from autism classrooms as well!

    I think time out is also an appropriate option as long as it is strictly enforced. Also no more than a minute per year of age. :)

    Just some friendly tips from your local SLP :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peyton. Those are great ideas...thanks for sharing! Hope you and William are doing well. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete