Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Amelia Grace has arrived!!!

Amelia Grace was born on 12/29/10 at 11:23AM.  She weighed 8 lbs and measured 20.5 inches long.  I was scheduled for induction and told to arrive at the hospital at 5AM.  I had the most wonderful nurse, Mendy, that began everything so quickly.  When I saw my doctor the week before (37 weeks), I was 3cm dilated and he said I might deliver before our scheduled induction on 12/29/10.  The pitocin started around 6:30AM and when my doctor arrived around 10:30AM to break my water, I was still around 3 - 4cm.  So my wonderful doctor left the hospital and would come back as I progressed.  Well, here is where it all began.  I had some contractions similar to what I had been having for the past month all that morning.  After he broke my water, I had a pretty strong contraction and told Josh I should use the bathroom one last time before it gets worse.  My nurse had called anesthesia to let them know I was ready for my epidural!!!  I already had one of my favorite anesthesiologists, Dr. Green, on-call to do my epidural.  Then I had two more really strong contractions (I am telling you....REALLY strong).  At this point, still no epidural, and I had a HUGE contraction where I told my nurse that I felt like I was uncontrollably pushing and she was going to start coming out.  The nurse checked me, and I was already 7cm.  This was only a few short minutes after the doctor had broken my water.  My nurse was calling my doctor to come back and anesthesia to come up because I was moving too fast and she was worried I wouldn't be able to get an epidural.  I really started to freak out, and Josh was about 10 shades of white because he was worried for me.  My wonderful nurse, Mendy, looked at me and said "Erin, you can do this even if you don't have an epidural because she has already moved so fast that she will come out very fast."  I know it should have been encouraging, but I freaked out.  Fortunately, Dr. Green ran in to save the day.  I was past the point of an epidural (which would have taken about 20 minutes to take effect), but since I had the fastest anesthesiologist, he slapped on some iodine and I got a spinal block!  Whew...RELIEF!!!  I was told by my doc and my nurse that had it been any other anesthesiologist, I probably wouldn't have gotten it.  Since I had the spinal, it slowed down the need to push, which was amazing because my doctor was stuck hitting every light on his way back to the hospital during a horrible rain storm.  My family said he ran in with wet shoes and all.  Then a few short pushes after his arrival and Amelia was born!  It was a miracle, and honestly, I didn't even break a sweat!  My doc said this is the way to have a baby.  He also said if we do have a third child and my water breaks to race to the hospital.  :) 

Amelia was a little bruised on her face from coming out so quickly, but they faded pretty quickly.  She is such a good sleeper and eater.  Avery is enjoying being a Big Sister, but she is also trying to figure out why we keep getting on to her for hitting her sister.  She does it with a smile on her face so if anyone has any suggestions on how to discipline/handle this, please, please let me know! 

Here are a few pics from her arrival.  It takes forever to upload pics if you are not a blogger so I will try to post a little each day.  Also need to get pics from the grandparents since we didn't take too many with our camera. 

Lastly, I had the most wonderful care from all of the staff members at Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, my employer!  I would like to think it is because I work there, but honestly, they give that care to everyone.  My list is so long to thank, but they were all so very compassionate and sweet to me.  Thank you EVERYONE!!!

 One of her first pictures...see how bruised her face is.  It faded pretty quickly after. 
 Ok, I know a little gross pic, but I was so proud of myself that I had to share. 
 My wonderful nurse, Mendy, fabulous OB, Dr. Nguyen, and the best nursery nurse, Elaine. 
 Our first pic with Amelia
 Cleaned up a little and ready for family! 
 Avery came to visit that night.  I had shirts made that say "Big Sister Avery" with two owls on it.  Amelia has a onesie, but she hasn't worn it yet.  More pictures to come with both in their cute shirts. 
 Our first family picture!
 Day 1 of life...
 Daddy holding his new baby girl.  Her outfit was so precious that her GiGi and PaPa gave her.  We had already changed her hat.  We put her in this for her newborn pics.  I will try to scan it. 
 Heading home
 Avery's first visit to the house after the baby was born.  She has really been a good helper bringing things to me.  She loves looking at her in the bassinet. 
 She found her new favorite spot under the bassinet.
 First sponge bath.  She actually only really cries when I take her clothes off or changing her diaper so we were pretty worried about her bath.  She loved it. 
 One week old today!  She is finally starting to open her eyes more.  We are in love!!! 

3 comments:

  1. She is beautiful Erin! And you looked amazing after having a baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's gorgeous, and I agree - you looked beautiful!! Enjoy your precious new gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is SO BEAUTIFUL and it is just wrong that you look so fantastic in those pictures! LOL! I almost don't believe that you just had a baby! :-) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete